Rattan furniture is BACK, and a perfect statement for your indoor and outdoor decor. Rattan is lightweight, sturdy, and eco-friendly.Typically, it is a woven vine similar to tropical palms and grows into a cane of 1″-3″ in diameter.
The cane is usually cut into lengths with a robust core and heated to shape into curves. Next, the vine’s exterior skin needs peeling off to make bendable lengths to tie furniture joints together.
Rattan is very durable, and is a great option for indoor or outdoor use. As with all natural materials, some care is ideal to ensure the material is clean and dust-free to last for an extended period. A great resource to get an idea of whats possible for rattan decor as well as furniture at thequeenofrattan.com.
Pros of Rattan Furniture
- Rattan furniture is convenient in use, and it is perfect for both indoor and outdoor settings.
- It is generally low-priced to buy and maintain
- It’s lightweight to carry around to new settings.
- It’s durable to last for an extended period.
- The suppleness of the material makes it outstandingly comfortable to use
Cons of Rattan Furniture
- Because it is from organic matter, it is very vulnerable to mold and mildew.
- Rattan favors warm and dry places; hence not ideal to use in damp climates.
- Prolonged use of your rattan furniture may bring about loose fibers that can poke you when you sit.
- The outdoor setting of rattan furniture makes the material suffer from significant wear and tear due to the harsh weather elements.
Tips for Caring For Rattan Furniture
- Ensure your rattan is free and away from dust. Keeping your rattan furniture free from dust is likely to prolong its lifespan. It would be best to clean your rattan furniture often to ensure it is free from dust and mildew. Overstayed dust or mildew will cause the fibers of your rattan furniture to start decaying. Preferably, use a clean damp cloth to wipe off the dust from your rattan furniture. If you like, you can add mild soap.
- Keep your rattan dry always. If you wiped your rattan using a damp cloth, ensure you let it dry in the sun or use a hairdryer. Better still, if your rattan is outsides, do not leave it in the rain, as any wetness will cause severe damage to your beautiful rattan furniture.
- Remove any spills and stains instantly. If you spill anything on your rattan furniture, make sure you clean it immediately before it seeps into the fiber and forms a permanent stain. No matter the type of spill, you will remove the stain with prompt cleaning using a damp cloth.
- Avoid placing your rattan in direct sun. If you bought your rattan for an outdoor setting, do not place it in direct sunlight. Direct exposure to the sun will weaken the fibers and make them dry or brittle out. Therefore, ensure you place it under a shade for an outdoor setting. If you have your rattan furniture inside, keep it away from any direct heat like a fireplace.
Are you caring for your rattan the proper way? Rest assured of maintaining your rattan furniture in great shape for as long as you want with the above tips.