In the present society, everybody needs to be defended and enjoy the same rights as every other person in their vicinity. Besides, human nature tends to overshadow their counterparts at all costs, which isn’t the best living rights.
There is supposed to be increased protection and consistently strive to achieve the fundamentals of human freedom at all levels. Many elements constitute the human rights culture in any country or region anyone might have found themselves. The key players and the stakeholders can be referred to as the non-governmental organizations and the individual human rights activists.
These stakeholders’ categories have a significant role to play in ensuring that every human being enjoys the benefits of human rights. Besides, as is witnessed in many developing countries and cultures, it is easy for highly placed people or the government to trample on vulnerable people’s rights. Therefore, this has become a significant issue that should be addressed by the services and human rights activists’ commitments.
What Are The NGOs, And Who Are The Human Rights Activists?
The popular term non-governmental organization resonates with bodies and groups committed to getting things done that benefit the citizens without relying on the government’s support in any way. The majority of the organization comprises a civil society that sympathizes and provides solutions to the affected individuals.
More so, the organizations can support justice for the masses or provide legal support and advice to ill-treated individuals. These organizations can also come in the form of cushioning the effects of poverty or disaster that has affected individuals or a particular section of a community. There are many more ways the human right organization helps achieve their goals in civil society and make their presence known.
That being said, a single individual can stand up against injustice in society or provide support and succor to any affected individual or group of people. The individual can lend his/her voice to the masses and speak on their behalf to help facilitate the necessary benefits they should enjoy in any way possible. In general, both non-governmental organizations and individuals committed to assisting with defending human rights look beyond the financial gain that might be available either in the present or future.
They are committed to achieving their purpose and also making sure their voices are heard on behalf of the victims of either injustice or segregation of any form. Patricia Yunghanns, one of the renowned human rights activist writers that have always brought to the media the help of human rights activists and their efforts day in day out. In general, there are many sectors the human rights activists, both individuals and the NGOs serve as a help to the suffering people. Besides, the human rights defenders can also come in the form of charities and even in assistance programs.
Functions Of The Human Rights Activists And The NGOs
There are many functions carried out in civil society by the human rights activists and the non-government organization committed to this course. At every level, they try to preserve the dignity of individuals at all levels. When the higher authority is threatening them, they can’t measure up; they can only turn to the NGO and the individual human rights activists for help. Human rights activists have formed a formidable source of support and play a crucial role in the following aspects of civil society:
- They fight for a just course against violating human rights either directly or supporting a group or seeking a court injunction to foil such occurrence at all costs.
- They offer either direct or indirect assistance for the violated people or individuals.
- Propose drastic changes in the laws governing the people to suit the common man in society.
- They help by ensuring that the proposed law supporting human rights is implemented and followed through to a logical conclusion.
- Besides, they help promote the knowledge of the human rights laws established to help victimized people stand up for their rights.
It is so significant and precise that the duties and the impacts of human rights activists in society can be overlooked as they serve as the checking point that helps to put violation of rights into check.
How The Human Rights Activists Influence The Process Of Defending The Defenseless
In the attempt to protect and salvage any human rights violation in society, there are several steps and methodologies implemented by either the non-governmental organization or the individual human rights activists to get justice to the affected people. They employ various means, including legal means, charitable means, or awareness to ensure the course they are committed to coming to reality. Below is some typical scope that is employed either in long terms or short terms:
- Direct Assistance: at some point, human rights activists have directly impacted the social-economic situation surrounding the affected people and offers direct services to the victims of the human rights violation. Besides, protection can be rendered in training, empowering, and helping the victims develop new skills. In other means, they might be involved in the legal process if there is the need to go down this route to be able to achieve justice or alleviate the suffering of the individuals in such an area.
- Information Gathering: to fight for the right cause, human rights activists need information that would help them fight in the right direction to fight for the right things needed by the victims. More so, the perpetrators of injustice must be fished out and found to bring them to the face of the necessary justice they deserve.
It is crucial that human rights activists found that voices among any crises might be ravaging against their victims and there is also the need to use the media to propagate their message for the populace. Platforms like finance.yahoo.com have provided the platform for human rights to voice their opinion also propagate their services and functions in civil society.